May 1, 2020 Update from Superintendent Ben Ferney
Valley School District Staff and Families,
We are finishing up week 7 of the closure and I hope this message finds you and your family in a good place mentally, physically, and emotionally. Undoubtedly, none of us would have ever thought we would be finishing the school year like this. This week, there were some decisions made at the state level that will directly impact our school district. Here are some updates for the week:
- On Tuesday, the Office of Superintendent of Instruction (OSPI) came out with “Special Rules for Emergency School Closures in the 2019-20 School Year” under the WAC 392-901-005. Under this WAC, “The local education agency extends the school year by a minimum of an additional five school days beyond the final regularly scheduled school day of the school calendar previously adopted by the local education agency for the 2019-20 school year.” Valley School District’s original calendar had us ending on Friday, June 5. This date will be extended five additional days to Friday, June 12, which will be our last day of school. The last day of school for seniors is Friday, June 5. This is new information and is different than what was previously communicated in prior messages. Thank you for your understanding and our goal is to get out new information as it comes into the district.
- Our meal service will continue to run Monday through Thursday (two days of meals on Thursday) and at bus loop location from 9:00-11:00 am.
- Childcare continues to serve families of 1st responders and medical professionals.
- We are providing internet for educational purposes in the parking lot in front of the District Office. Please use the guest network, use internet for educational purposes, and practice proper social distancing.
- The Paideia High School plant sale is on Saturday, May 9th starting at 8:00 am. It will be curbside pick-up with no pre-orders. We hope to see you there and please remember to follow the social distancing guidelines.
I look forward to the days when we can meet face to face and our community returns to whatever the ‘new normal’ is. In the meantime, thank you for working with us as we implement our continuous learning plan. In order to be best prepared for next year, it is important for our students to continue to engage in learning and grow in the coming weeks. Please reach out to us if you have questions or concerns as we continue this journey together.