• Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

    Student records contain information that is collected and maintained by the school on a routine basis for educational or operational purposes. Student records are considered confidential and, generally, personally identifiable information may not be disclosed without written parent/guardian consent, unless there exists a legitimate educational interest or other exception as allowed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). For example, the school discloses education records without consent to officials of another school or school district in which a student seeks or intends to enroll, or is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes of the student’s enrollment or transfer.

    Accessibility to student records is guided by Valley School District policy in accordance with state and federal laws.

    Under FERPA, parents, guardians and adult students have the right to:

    • review and inspect the student’s education record
    • seek to amend information if they believe the record is inaccurate or misleading
    • consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent
    • file a complaint with the U.S. Dept. of Education

    Parents, guardians and adult students who wish to review their education records should submit a written request to the school office where the student is enrolled. The school will make arrangements for access and notify the requester of the time and place where the records may be inspected.

    Notice of Directory Information Rights

    Federal law requires schools inform parents that some of their child’s information, called "Directory Information," might be used for certain school-related purposes. Parents and guardians may tell schools not to release this information. This is part of a law called The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA).

    What is Directory Information?

    • your child’s name
    • photographs, video and other images of your child
    • recognition, diplomas and awards received by your child
    • date and place of birth
    • most recent and previous schools attended
    • dates of enrollment and enrollment status
    • participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and weight/height of student, if related to athletic participation
    • electronic (e-mail) address and telephone number, including cell phone, student ID number
    • student ID number (only if it cannot be used to gain access to education records)
    • you have a say in who can see your child’s directory information

    Publishing photos of your child in district publications and websites, or in the news media, is one of the things you can restrict if you wish. Additionally, because high schools must provide student contact information (name, address, phone number) to military recruiters as directed by federal law, a parent/guardian/adult student may specifically opt out of providing such information to recruiters without his or her prior written consent.

    We ask parents to think carefully before restricting this information

    Unfortunately, by restricting your child’s directory information for school publications, your student's name and photo cannot be included in student annuals and yearbooks. He or she will not be able to be part of classroom, team or club photos which are intended to be published in yearbooks. And, if you say "no" to providing contact information to outside organizations, your child's name, address and phone number/s will not be provided to non-district organizations, including: graduation supplies companies; colleges; or military recruiters; and, after graduation, school reunion committees. Publishing photos of your child in district publications and websites, or in the news media, is one of things you can restrict, if you wish.

    Directory Information Restriction Form

    If you wish to restrict how the district shares this information, please contact the school office.

    What if you change your mind?

    If you ask us to restrict your student information, but later change your mind, just ask to update this form at your child’s school office.